Expert Small Claims Advice

A House-owner's Rights - Compensation Most owners will accept the ...

A House-owner's Rights - Compensation Most owners will accept the inevitable, and concern themselves with that basic question-how much compensation will they get? One problem for the owner is the long delay, often several years, between confirmation of the scheme and the date when the authority actually takes the house. If, during this period, he wants to sell privately, he may find that it is difficult to realise what he thinks is a realistic figure. In these circumstances, the owner can insist that the authority buys his house immediately at the market value, which means the amount an owner would ordinarily expect to receive for his property if he put it up for sale on the open market.

Where only part of his land is taken he can claim compensation if the value of what remains has fallen. Or he can require the authority to buy the rest of his property.

The owner should always instruct an independent surveyor to negotiate the price on his behalf. The surveyor's fees, as well as legal fees and removal expenses, will be paid by the authority.

small claims forms 

Small Claim forms 2014 (downloads)

Stage 2: The defendant's response

If you have delayed issuing proceedings for any reason, you may wish to seek legal advice before issuing your small claim.

{Please note the above forms are copyrighted to HMCS}

Small Claims (UK)
London ROad Guidlford, Surrey GU1 4DQ

Customers have scored Small Claims (UK) on average 88%100 based on 97 reviews.